Monday, October 17, 2011

Eating and Exercising--They go Hand-in-Hand!

It seems like a rare thing to find someone who exercises at all, let alone on a regular basis. For some reason people think they don't  have to exercise, when in reality, everyone needs some sort of physical activity on a regular basis. I also talk to people who have pretty bad eating habits, and they cannot figure out why they are gaining (Or not losing) weight. Or maybe they know why, and just lack the motivation to make some changes. (That's where my *cough* Personal Coaching comes in ;)  )

I have talked to a few people recently who say they feel they are getting plenty of exercise, but not really eating better, and are not seeing any results. I have also talked with people (usually women over the age of 30) who say they haven't really changed anything, but they are starting to gain weight. Here is the problem ladies: (and gentlemen, for that matter!)

1. You could be getting vigorous exercise 4-6 times per week, but if you are not eating a healthy, well-balanced diet, you will most likely maintain your current weight. You might lose a little, but your body fat percentage is not going to decrease if you're eating a greasy, fatty meal every day (or 2-3 times a day). Sorry, but just because you are exercising, does not mean you can eat whatever you want!

2. As we get older, we lose muscle mass every year. Along with losing muscle, our metabolism also slows down significantly... especially after the age of 40. Been skinny your whole life and never had to watch what you ate? Good for you... that doesn't make you healthy, and means that you are probably going to have an even harder time getting healthy and losing that weight you are gaining--because you have so many bad habits in place (because you "never had to worry about it before").

Start eating better now:

But I do have good news... it's not too late! No matter what age you are, you can start getting some of those healthy habits in place. Start paying more attention to what you are eating and drinking. Even if you think you eat "relatively" healthy... think again. The older you get, the less "relative" it becomes.

Figure out your own "workout" routine:

Find out what works for you! Find a day/time that you know you can commit to working out--whether that be walking, running, video workouts, classes, or lifting some weights. It might be difficult to stay on track, but once you get a routine down, your day won't feel complete without it. Once you have a workout routine down, figure out what helps you get the most out of your workouts. Some people like to exercise first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. (which is what I used to do) These days, I have a great workout if I am up for an hour or two, and have had a cup of coffee, some water, and a light breakfast. No matter what you decide, make sure you are drinking plenty of water! (at least 64 ounces a day!)

Most resources say that adults need at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise most days of the week. Of course this depends on each individual, but this should give you an idea of how often you should be exercising.


It is never too late to make some changes. I hear so many people talk about being stressed and tired all of the time. There is no better medicine than eating healthy foods every day, avoiding unhealthy habits, and getting some sort of exercise on a regular basis. Whenever I am feeling especially tense, or feeling like I am coming down with something, I make sure I get my heart pumping with a good workout and take in some extra vitamins and minerals... I feel better in no time!
I am not the only who says so--here are some articles with more information on eating right AND exercising:

 

2 comments:

  1. You are in my head, I promise! My honey and I were just having this conversation yesterday when we went for our morning walk!

    They must go hand in hand...it's like having peanut butter with no peanuts....doesn't work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy, huh!? LOL glad we are on the same page! Absolutely. The concept seems simple, but I know that a lot of people struggle with it. (I used to!) It's all about healthy habits :)

    ReplyDelete