Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Great Way to Start Your Day - Kell's Morning Power Smoothie

Okay everyone... this is how I start my morning. The very first thing I do when I wake up is drink a cup of coffee (no cream or sugar, either soy milk or almond milk). Then I have a bowl of cereal... 1 cup of cheerios with 1/2 cup of soy milk. Then 1-2 hours later I make my famous, most delicious smoothie. Some days I drink it right away, or sometimes if I am in a hurry I take it with me. Anyone who has ever tried it has loved it. And it is so good for you! It fills you up and gets your system MOVING!

Here is my "recipe": (You should feel special, I have only given this out to a few clients ;)  )

1 cup of plain yogurt (I use Kefir, only found in the health food section of Hy-Vee or Nature's Pantry)
4-6 frozen *strawberries (4 large, 6 small... also very good with any other frozen fruit ending in "berry")
1/2 banana
1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter (I like mine ground from Nature's Pantry, but any PB will do!)
Handful of baby spinach (use a small amount at first... if you use too much, and it's not very fresh, you WILL taste it)

Blend until smooth. Then I add 1/2 cup of raw (old fashioned) oats and tablespoon of flaxseed. Blend again, but only for 8-10 seconds.

*Delicious*

I also make smoothies for my boys. Sometimes I make them just like mine, or I use soy milk and leave out the oats. They seem to like it better that way, but they will also drink it my way.

There is just about everything in this smoothie... Protein, fiber, antioxidants, potassium, probiotics, omega 3, vitamin A, vitamin C... the list goes on and on. I wasn't a smoothie fan before changing my lifestyle, but one day I decided to try this... and have been hooked ever since. Give it a try... and let me know what you think!


*blackberries, cranberries, and raspberries ranks higher for antioxidants... but tends to be more expensive

1 comment: