Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Nobody said it was easy.

I have learned a lot from talking with people about their current lifestyle. When I say lifestyle, I am referring to how they eat, whether they exercise, etc. Unfortunately, there are a lot of factors that seem to make it difficult for people to live a healthy lifestyle. Some people say they just "don't have time" to be healthy, and some people say they just "don't know how" to be healthy. As for myself, I'm pretty sure I have used both excuses at one time or another!

But the truth is, you have to make it a priority. If you think you eat fairly well but don't exercise, find some time to workout. If you think you get plenty of exercise but don't really eat well, start eating healthier! If you don't know how to do either one, figure it out! Do some research! You have to take some time to take care of yourself. Then, if you're a Momma like me, you have the knowledge to take care of your family as well.

Unfortunately, we live in a society that makes food readily available, (even at all hours of the night!) and makes food to last on your shelf for a long time. Then you have your job, your social activities, and when you do have free time, the last thing you want to do it workout or cook a healthy meal!

It takes time and effort to live well. Make it a priority! Figure out what you're doing wrong, and fix it. If you and your family are super busy and don't "have time" to eat well, find some recipes for meals that would be easy to stick in a cooler (make some grilled chicken wraps, wrap them in plastic wrap, and throw them in the cooler!) If you work long hours (or more than one job) and you don't seem to have time, make time! Be creative! Wake up 30 minutes earlier for a quick walk or workout. Once it's routine, it won't seem so difficult.

Another challenge is the fear of change. So many people I have talked to grew up eating packaged, processed and fast food, and just don't know what they should be doing. But I have been helping someone in particular, and the great thing is, she wants to learn! Motivation and dedication is KEY.


Finally, I have heard many people talk about how much age and genetics play a part in their lives, that it's keeping them from being at their ideal weight. Unfortunately, the older you get, the slower your metabolism gets. But it is possible to lose weight at any age, it just takes a lot of work. I see so many teenagers who think they can eat whatever they want. They develop horrible eating habits, then seem confused when they hit their 20's and have gained weight. I have seen adults who ate whatever they wanted and never exercised because their weight never changed, and then once they hit 40 or 50, the weight and health issues came on. I have seen and heard of many thin people (one of them being a relative) having heart attacks in their 30's or 40's. This is why I have told several people that it's not about losing weight, it's about living well. It's about health! Eat healthy, exercise, and you won't have to struggle with weight or health issues.

Do you really need any more reasons to eat right and exercise? Make the decision. Make some changes.

2 comments:

  1. Very well stated! As you are aware, we have been closely monitoring what we are eating in our house and there are just sooooo many things that I have noticed.

    Food is at our fingertips ALL THE TIME and from many different angles! It is about CHOICE and choosing to LIVE WELL!

    Sure, as I have gotten "older" my body has responded differently to my bad habits and now I am paying for it, so to speak, and it is NOT easy!

    I did find a cool website though to help me plan our meals better! www.myfitnesspal.com

    Thanks Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sang! Knowledge is definitely power... The fact that you are noticing these things is GREAT. It is all about making choices, which is definitely not easy for most people. Thanks for the website, I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete