Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Scoop on Poop.

Everybody poops. But not everyone talks about it!

Well I am. I recently discovered how important pooping really is. I would never have talked about it to anyone else, let alone post it for the whole world to see. But it really is an important issue that needs to be addressed.

I have done some research on the topic, and here is what I have found: Everyone has their own "normal" schedule of pooping, however, not everyone's "normal" is healthy. The healthiest individuals seem to poop every day, and occasionally every other day. It should be painless, soft, and brownish in color. Some foods will change the color of feces, but generally speaking, poop should not be extremely light or dark in color. (this can be a sign of a more serious issue)

Does your poop float?

The heavier the poop, the heavier you have been eating. People who drink plenty of water, get plenty of fiber  and eat their vegetables, should have more floaters than sinkers. So if your poop isn't floating, make sure you are getting enough fiber and green veggies. Fiber is not necessarily absorbed into your system, but it helps to get things moving in your body. However, people who only have floaters may have some malabsorption issues, so make sure you're not getting too much fiber.

Should your number-one priority be the consistency of your number two's?? Not really... but eating healthy foods and getting plenty of exercise will help you to poop more consistently, and will make you feel better in general.

 Happy trails!

3 comments:

  1. I have had this conversation....At least I know I was right! :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Thanks for sharing. :) Poop doesn't bother me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right Katie... Parents of toddlers (well, parents in general!) are immune to it. It's a common topic around our house! :)

    ReplyDelete