Monday, January 9, 2012

The First Step is Acceptance!

Addictions. Everyone has them... some people have several. And no, I am not talking about drugs, or even tobacco. I am talking about fast food, fried food, junk food, soda pop, or even just 'sugar'.

The first step to getting healthy is "acceptance". So many people are in the denial about the way they eat, or things they drink on a daily basis. I have heard many people say that they don't think they have a 'problem'... but I think if you took a closer look, you would realize that maybe 3 or 4 pops a day is NOT so good for your health. Or fast food several times a week, or drinking coffee, tea and/or pop every day and saying, "Yes, I drink plenty of fluids!". Denial is a dangerous thing... it's time to stop denying that you have food/drink addictions, and accept the fact that healthy changes need to be made!

After you have accepted the fact that you have a problem, the next step is also acceptance, but in a MUCH different way. I have talked with people who know they should make some changes, but have a hard time accepting that it's going to be tough. "You mean I have to work for it?!" Everyone wants a pill, a surgery, or even a magic wand that will make all those years of harming your body just disappear. You want to keep the weight off? Do you want to stay healthy? Then you have to make these changes yourself... no one can make them for you. The MOST important step, is accepting the fact that you are going to have to get off your butt and DO SOMETHING about it.

No one said it would be easy... Physically or mentally. You just have to DO IT. You have to politely decline when someone offers your favorite dessert or beverage. Not everyone is all-or-nothing, but the healthiest, most fit people I know do not have those kind of things in their life. They just don't. Is it possible to 'have your cake and eat it too'? Maybe for some people, if you are strong enough to not overindulge and keep those cravings and urges in control.

I was the biggest excuse maker EVER. I used to eat fast food all the time, stating that I "didn't have time" for anything else. I drank pop OFTEN, thinking "oh, it's not that bad for me!" I would get motivated to start working out--again--but ended up making excuses. Even worse, I thought that if I didn't have a gym membership, then I couldn't really work out or get in shape. My husband kept telling me, "If it's important to you, you will find a way." 

Once I accepted the fact that I needed to change, I also accepted the fact that I was going to have to give up a LOT of things that I loved (Sprite and Snickers to name two)*, and that I was going to have to give 110% effort--every day--if I wanted to live a healthier life. Without a gym membership, I gave up all those bad things, started doing workout videos at home and walking outside. I lost weight and got in shape, but most importantly, I created healthy habits that I continue to use--EVERY DAY.

It IS possible to make changes... to eat healthier, get in shape, and maybe even lose a few pounds. You just have to make the decision, and stick to it. Even if you aren't very motivated at first, do it anyway. Your progress will motivate you more than anything else.   :)

2 comments:

  1. And it is best to have that support system to help you along the way. Some people need accountability from someone else...because then they feel like they are letting that person down if they do not complete it...damn psychology.

    Another thing, find that accountability that is HARD on you, EXPECTS what you EXPECT, and does not let you slack! There are goals to be met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people succeed without accountability. I only told a few people when I was trying to reach my goals... it grew from there, and of course I have plenty of accountability now. It really can help you reach your goals, which is why I started Personal Coaching. And so far, EVERY client has succeeded in their own way. :)

    ReplyDelete