Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Effects of Drinking Soda

*Most sodas include over 100% of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of sugar. (Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single users of refined sugar in the United States.) A 12-ounce can of cola has 150 calories and the equivalent of almost a ¼ cup of sugar.

Do I really need to go any further?? Soda pop provides ZERO nutritional value. There is nothing in it that's good for you! Pop is made to be VERY addicting. Believe me, I was once addicted to pop. My favorite was a good ol' Pepsi. Then I gave up on dark sodas and became addicted to Sprite. Again, no nutritional value. I guess I thought the lack of caffeine made it ok to drink. Now, I can't even tell you the last time I had a soda pop. The thought of one actually makes my stomach turn. The hardest part is getting over the addiction.

Don't let your children drink pop! Drinking pop can cause so many problems, but one of them is behavior. Cade has never had pop, but he has had small amounts of sugar  (usually in family or holiday settings). He turns into a different kid!

*For some kids, sugar is a major factor in mood, behaviour and attention patterns. It has been demonstrated that destructive, aggressive and restless behaviour correlates directly with the amount of sugar consumed on a daily basis. Hyperactivity, often diagnosed as ADHD, has a direct correlation with diets high in processed foods, sugar and food additives.


*Sugar increases insulin levels which can increase the risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, and weight gain. 

*A 12-ounce can of cola has 150 calories and the equivalent of almost a ¼ cup of sugar. A 20-ounce cola has 250 calories and the equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar.

Again, the hardest part is getting over the addiction. Once you get past that, it's a breeze. Just because it might taste good, does not mean it's good for you! Give up soda pop for good. I guarantee you will have more energy, and may even notice some weight loss, just by giving it up.

*http://www.fitnessgoop.com/2010/08/health-effects-of-drinking-soda/

No comments:

Post a Comment