Thursday, August 4, 2011

How to Burn Calories Without Going to the Gym

You don't need a membership at an elaborate gym to burn calories or "work out". You also don't need a complicated, hour long workout routine. There are many, many small things that anyone can do to stay fit and burn some fat!

1. Do More!
Pick a parking spot a little further away from the door... If you currently have a house cleaner, find some time to do it yourself! Every opportunity that you have to move, do it. Even if you're tired--moving/exercising will give you more energy anyway.  ;)

2. Walk... everywhere.
Go outside, and go for a walk. For some reason people don't think that walking is effective at burning calories, but it is! Whether you walk half a mile or three miles, it doesn't matter. Just make sure you walk as if you're in a bit of a hurry... sauntering doesn't burn many calories.


3. Videos
I found a whole collection of Pilates videos at a garage sale for $5. I have borrowed videos from friends. You don't need to order expensive workout videos online to exercise at home. Find one and try something new! You might surprise yourself. The great thing about doing videos at home is that there are NO excuses when it comes to doing them.

4. YouTube & Your Living Room
If you look carefully, there are some great videos on YouTube that can give you some moves and/or routines to try. Give them a shot and figure out what works, then put in your iPod and work up a sweat.

One of the most important things I have learned over the last 7 months is that it doesn't matter what you do to work out, as long as you're doing something. Having enough time cannot be an excuse... You can accomplish a LOT in 15 minutes.

The hardest part is getting started and sticking with it. Find something that works for you, then make it routine. Then switch things up again and try something else.

I do all of these things above and more to stay fit, and I found a great article that might give you a few more ways to burn extra calories. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37378884/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/no-sweat-ways-burn-calories/

Now get off your butt and go do something!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I have to remind myself of this when I don't get to the gym in my building! As long as I am doing "something" I am golden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Sang. I don't make it to the gym every day. The other day I had an awesome glute workout in my kitchen while the boys were eating lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete